The SLBC is an inter-institutional forum for coordination and joint implementation of development programmes and policies by all the financial institutions operating in a State. Although SLBC is envisaged as a bankers’ forum, Government Officials are also included.
- To discuss issues, consider alternative solutions to the various problems in the field of banking development and evolve consensus for coordinated action by the member institutions.
- To do the necessary spade work for formulation of Annual Credit Plan by getting in time district-wise resource allocation by banks and dis-aggregation of the various Governmental programmes.
- To undertake critical analysis of the progress of the implementation of Annual Credit Plan & Govt. and other agencies sponsored credit-linked programmes / schemes in the various districts.
- To review the assistance required and provided by Govt. agencies.
- To consider problems referred by the district level forums and take necessary follow-up action.
- To oversee the implementation of branch expansion programme.
- To review the recovery performance.
- To ensure arrangements for training of both bank and Govt. staff as well as evaluation of the programmes implemented.
- To take up for consideration such issues as have been raised by the member banks and/or the State Govt. authorities and questions or inter-bank difference of views and approach remaining unresolved at the District Level Consultative Committees.
- To solve operational problems in implementation of Service Area Approach, Credit Plans, Govt. and other agencies programmes etc.
- To consider ways and needs of extending coverage through organization of Farmers Service Societies or adoption of Co op. societies, etc.
- To serve as a focal point for the banking system in the State for securing better liaison with the State Govt. authorities.
- To examine the inter-institutional coordination in the formulation and implementation of the Annual Credit Plans.
- To review the trends in the flow of credit into rural areas and to the small borrowers in the neglected sectors.
- To purposefully review the picture revealed by the data compiled in accordance with the new system of returns and take follow-up measures to ensure speedy disposal of loan applications, to improve the pace of credit assistance under specific programmes/schemes such as SGSY, PMRY, SJSRY, REGP, Employment Generation Programmes etc.
- To review Credit: Deposit Ratio, Priority Sector Advances, advances to weaker section, financing of minority communities etc.
- To undertake/ entrust study of any specific problems in implementation of Lead Bank Scheme, Services Area Approach, Development Programmes, etc. by appointing Study Groups comprising of representatives of ¾ banks and Govt. departments more intimately concerned with the problems or having greater expertise at their command.
- To review progress in implementation of official language.
Confirming/ ratifying the action initiated by the Steering Committee of SLBC.